2014 Sprog Participant Applications Open now!
Do you want to attend Sprog this summer? Click here to get an application to the Sprog of your choice.
Do you know someone who would get a lot of a Sprog experience? Click here to nominate someone to attend Sprog!
What is Sprog?
Every year over 200 youth commit one week of their summer to attend the SSC’s nationally recognized Summer Grassroots Leadership Training Program, Sprog! Whether you’re a seasoned veteran of organizing looking to take your leadership to the next level or a brand new activist looking to start building a toolkit for making real change, Sprog’s complete overview of time-tested skills and knowledge has something for you.
- Some have called it the best week of their life (no joke; we wouldn’t make this stuff up!), Sprog provides a unique space to:
- Get the tools you need to launch and lead campaigns that win real change.
- Get connected to a supportive network of passionate peers, fighting the good fight in your region.
- Learn how to confront oppression and create inclusive spaces for people of all backgrounds to succeed in your work.
- Develop your personal potential as a leader.
Who is Sprog For?
Sprogs are run by and for young people. Sprogs are appropriate for youth from high school on up to young adulthood, ages 14-28*. Sprog applicants do NOT need to be current students.
*We have had Sprog participants above this age range attend in the past either because they are current students or because they are actively engaged in youth movement activism.*
What would I learn at Sprog?
We aim to provide a comprehensive set of skills, knowledge, and confidence necessary to succeed as a leader of a grassroots campaign. Training topics include:
- Setting Strategy and Planning Campaigns to Win Real Change
- Working with the Media
- Confronting Oppression and Standing up for Justice
- Meeting with Decision Makers
- Building your Base and Developing Leaders
- Effective Meeting and Group Facilitation
And much, much more!
When/where is Sprog happening this year?
This summer we are exploring offering six, week-long programs across the country, in the following regions:
- Puerto Rico [Orocovis, June 21-28] *completamente en español*
- Northeast [Atrim, NH, June 22-29]
- Gulf Coast [Brandon, MS, July 20-27]
- Southwest [Harwood Lodge, near Los Angeles, CA, July 6-13]
- Midwest [Minneapolis, MN, July 7-14]
More specific information about 2014 locations and dates coming soon.
How do you apply to attend?
APPLICATION ACCEPTANCE TIMELINE
April 15th - Early Bird Deadline*
May 15th - Second Round Deadline
May 15th – Till Program Start Date;- Rolling Application Review & Acceptance [spots are limited and may not be available by this time]
All applications submitted before the above listed deadlines will be reviewed, processed and replied to within a week of the submission deadline. Programs may fill at any point after the Early Bird Deadline. Apply early for best chance of acceptance.
how much does it cost?
Sprog tuition is all inclusive, covering lodging, food, training, and activities.
- Early Bird Regular* - $300/person (until April 15th)
- Early Bird Group Rate* - $250/person (until April 15th)
- Regular - $350/person
- Group Rate** - $300/person
- Donation*** - $350+
The SSC does not profit from Sprog tuition. These rates are set to cover the expenses of Sprog participants and our volunteer trainers as well as offer tuition waivers to participants who are not able to afford the full rate. Tuition is offered on a sliding scale with anything above the posted rates considered a donation to our program. Thank you for paying a rate that suits your finances. Without this money we would not be able to train 200+ grassroots leaders every year!
*Early Bird rates available to applicants who submit applications before the April 15th Early Bird deadline.
**Group rates available to participants who apply with 3 or more people from the same school or organization.
***Donations go towards covering the expenses of participants who cannot pay the full rate.
How do I apply for discounted Sprog tuition or a scholarship to help with travel expenses?
To attend Sprog at a reduced rate or request assistance with travel expenses, please apply here:
SPROG SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
- Click here for Northeast Scholarship Application
- Click here for Puerto Rico Scholarship Application
- Click here for Midwest Scholarship Application
- Click here for Golf Coast Scholarship Application
- Click here for Southwest Scholarship Application
All scholarship applications must be submitted within the same acceptance period as your application to attend the program. Applicants will be alerted whether they have received scholarships or tuition waivers at the same time as they are told whether they have been accepted to the program.
We are committed to getting as many people as possible to Sprog regardless of financial barriers however our resources are limited and we will not be able to provide scholarships to all who apply. Recipients of scholarships will be chosen based on demonstration of need.
How do I sign up to be a Trainer, Director, or Cook at Sprog?
Director and Trainer applications are closed for 2014 Sprogs. We will beging accepting applications for 2015 Directors and Trainers this Fall. To receive information when applications become available, please fill out the following Sprog Interest Form.
2014 Cook Applications coming soon!
Got other questions?
Email the SSC's Training and Leadership Development Director, Tim Harlan-Marks: firstname.lastname@example.org